Build a Portfolio Career

Building a Portfolio Career

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Midlife achievement

Here is a recent post by Seth Godin:


Accepting false limits

I will never be able to dunk a basketball.
This is beyond discussion.
Imagine, though, a co-worker who says, "I'll never be able to use a knife and fork. No, I have to use my hands."
Or a colleague who says, "I can't possibly learn Chinese. I'm not smart enough."
This is a mystery to me. A billion people have learned Chinese, and the failure rate for new kids is close to zero. If a well functioning adult puts in sufficient time and the effort, she''ll succeed.
The key to this disconnect is the unspoken part about time and effort and fear. I agree that you will never ship that product or close that sale or invent that device unless you put in the time and put in the effort and overcome the fear. But I don't accept for a minute that there's some sort of natural limit on your ability to do just about anything that involves creating and selling ideas.
This attitude gets me in trouble sometimes. Perhaps I shouldn't be pushing people who want something but have been taught not to push themselves. Somewhere along the way, it seems, I forgot that it's none of my business if people choose to accept what they've got, to forget their dreams and to not seek to help those around them achieve what matters to them.
Not sure if you'll forgive me, but no, I'm not going to believe that only a few people are permitted to be gatekeepers or creators or generous leaders. I have no intention of apologizing for believing in people, for insisting that we all use this moment and these assets to create some art and improve the world around us.
To do anything less than that is a crime.


This excellent observation from Seth is particularly appropriate to people in midlife. How often have we heard colleagues say 'I can't, because of my age/experience/lack of experience/etc.' How often have we said similar things ourselves?

Yes, it takes effort and no, you won't always succeed, but push your midlife self to try!


=================================================
Rob Horlock has established The Mid Life Opportunity (www.midlifeop.com), a community for people in Midlife. Advice and Guidance is available from The Mid Life Coaching Panel. It’s free to join - click here


No comments:

Post a Comment